Research can be approved as “exempt” if it is no more than minimal risk and fits one of six federally designated exempt review categories. Protocols that are candidates for exempt status must be submitted to the Office of Research Integrity for a determination. Let us help you decide whether to submit for an exemption determination. Please click on the category that best describes your research. If none of these categories applies, your study will not qualify for exempt review.
- Exempt Category 1 - Educational Research
- Exempt Category 2 & 3 - Surveys, Interviews, Observation of Public Behavior, or Educational Tests
- Exempt Category 4 - Publicly Available Retrospective Data OR Retrospective Data Recorded without Identifiers
- Exempt Category 5 - Studies about Public Benefit or Service Programs
- Exempt Category 6 - Food Quality Evaluation and/or Consumer Acceptance Studies